The Best Marathon Training Essentials
This year has been amazing so far, but one thing that I have come to realize is that I need to learn to take more time for myself. We as women have a hard time with this as we are constantly juggling multiple things at once…our careers, family, friends, etc. For me that has meant less time at the gym and not always eating as healthy as I could. It also has meant that I push myself to the very limit until my body just shuts down and I have nothing left.
“You will never regret taking the time to live a healthy life.”
I decided a few months ago that I needed to learn to slow down a bit and get healthy again. So I did something I have never done before, I put my name into the Nike Woman’s Marathon lottery and won! So now the work begins. But training for this marathon has been amazing. Listen, I’m not going to say it’s been easy to get out and run when I am supposed to or that I have even wanted to each time. But I always am glad when I do. I have also gotten back in sync with my body taking out the foods that don’t agree with me and adding much more fruits and veggies to my diet. Lately, I have been in the kitchen more and we as a family order out a lot less. I really do love to cook, but it began to feel like a chore. I’m happy to say it’s fun again. I’ll share some of my favorite quick and healthy meals over the next few weeks.
What is any event without some accessories?! Below are some of my favorite marathon training essentials that I can not live without.
1. Nuun Drink Tablets: These electrolyte tablets offer a carbohydrate-free fluid replacement. Just drop one of these tablets into your water bottle and after it dissolves you’ll be left with a great tasting sports drink to help you replace electrolytes you just burned. The best part is you can hydrate yourself without the calories and high sugar content of most other sports drink. The best of all worlds! My favorite is the lemonade. It gives you the extra push when you are feeling like you can’t move another step.
2. Ray-Ban Polarized Sunglasses: Sunglasses are a must-have when training outside. I love my Ray-Ban polarized wrap glasses. They are a bit sportier than my other sunnies, but are perfect for running and stay on my face without moving around.
3. Beats by Dre Headphones: Nothing helps me stay focused on running more than great music. I have been going through headphones like water lately but love these sport headphones. You can change songs to find your power song right on the cord and switch between your headphones to taking a call in the middle of your run if need be.
4. The Twistband Hair Ties: Having my hair up and out of my face and off my neck is a must for me. I love these hair ties as they don’t damage my hair and are cute. They even look chic when wearing around your wrist.
5. Nike Fuelband: I love my Fuelband. It’s a great motivator to make sure I get in my runs and hit my goals. There is nothing that gets me happier than when I see GOAL across the front. It’s also fun to keep track of how I am doing against my Facebook friends as well as track my progress.
6. Purlisse Sunscreen: When training outside, making sure to apply sunscreen is an absolute must. I use Purlisse as my daily skin care. The sunscreen is one of the best I’ve used, lightweight but with great coverage.
7. Nike Flyknit Lunar 1+: I have multiple running shoes that I am switching between to get me ready for this marathon. I just purchased the Nike Flyknit Lunar 1+ and am in love. I am using them for my long runs on the weekends and switching between others during the week. But the few times I have worn them they have been amazing and give me the extra support needed.